Call for definition of WORM for SSC-3

Paul.A.Suhler at certance.com Paul.A.Suhler at certance.com
Thu Jul 15 11:02:14 PDT 2004

* Paul.A.Suhler at certance.com
*

Hi, Ralph.

I think that this works better as a feature of existing device types,
rather than as a new type.  Certainly all of the backup applications will
break if the tape drives start reporting a peripheral device type other
than 1.

Nevertheless, Kevin may be able to snarf some model text and other ideas
|from SBC.  Thanks for the pointer.

Cheers,

Paul Suhler
Certance

                      "Ralph O. Weber"
                      <roweber at IEEE.org        To:       t10 at t10.org
                      >                        cc:
                      Sent by:                 Subject:  Re: Call for definition of WORM for SSC-3
                      owner-t10 at t10.org

                      07/15/2004 06:59
                      AM

* "Ralph O. Weber" <roweber at ieee.org>
*
How does the proposed SSC-3 work relate to the Write-once device
(e.g., some optical disks) device type defined in SBC and made
obsolete in SBC-2?

If this work is important, would it be more appropriate to revise
the SBC definition in SBC-2 instead of making the definition
obsolete?

Please note that I am not at all thrilled by the idea of devoting
two scarce device type codes to a single device type.

All the best,

.Ralph

* 'info t10' (no quotes) in the message body to majordomo at t10.org