Call for definition of WORM for SSC-3

Kevin D Butt kdbutt at us.ibm.com
Wed Jul 14 20:39:28 PDT 2004

* Kevin D Butt <kdbutt at us.ibm.com>
--=_alternative 0014187B07256ED2_=

I am not in possession of the email that started the conversation, but
it's definition was something similar to, "WORM is when data that has
been written cannot be overwritten".  The comments to that varied from,
that's too simple a definition, to there are certain scenarios and
constructs which are allowed to be overwritten depending on situation.
The true driver for what WORM is, is what the SEC will allow/accept to
be certified.  This may be nebulous and we don't want to reference a
regulatory body in the standard.

Kevin D. Butt
Fibre Channel & SCSI Architect, IBM Tape Microcode,
6TYA, 9000 S. Rita Rd., Tucson, AZ  85744
Tie-line 321; Office: 520-799-5280, Lab: 799-5751, Fax: 799-4138, Email:
kdbutt at us.ibm.com

Pat LaVarre <p.lavarre at IEEE.org>
Sent by: owner-t10 at t10.org

07/14/2004 05:37 PM

Kevin D Butt/Tucson/IBM at IBMUS

cc
t10 at t10.org

Subject
Re: Call for definition of WORM for SSC-3

* Pat LaVarre <p.lavarre at ieee.org>
*
> The SSC-3 working group is looking to define WORM as it relates to
> streaming devices. There has turned out to be a wide range of
> definitions among the four companies who made comments. As such, we
> wish to request all that have an interest to submit their definition
> of what WORM is.

Can anyone quote the four definitions proposed already?

Does anyone know the regulatory definition that drives e.g. the U.S.
market?

Pat LaVarre

* 'info t10' (no quotes) in the message body to majordomo at t10.org

--=_alternative 0014187B07256ED2_=

that started the conversation, but it's definition was something similar
to, "WORM is when data that has been written cannot be overwritten".
&nbsp;The comments to that varied from, that's too simple a definition,
to there are certain scenarios and constructs which are allowed to be overwritten
depending on situation. &nbsp;The true driver for what WORM is, is what
the SEC will allow/accept to be certified. &nbsp;This may be nebulous and
we don't want to reference a regulatory body in the standard.</font>
Kevin D. Butt<br>
Fibre Channel &amp; SCSI Architect, IBM Tape Microcode, <br>
6TYA, 9000 S. Rita Rd., Tucson, AZ &nbsp;85744<br>
Tie-line 321; Office: 520-799-5280, Lab: 799-5751, Fax: 799-4138, Email:
kdbutt at us.ibm.com</font>
WORM for SSC-3</font></table>
* Pat LaVarre <p.lavarre at ieee.org&gt;<br>
*<br>
> The SSC-3 working group is looking to define WORM as it relates to<br>
> streaming devices. There has turned out to be a wide range of<br>
> definitions among the four companies who made comments. As such, we<br>
> wish to request all that have an interest to submit their definition<br>
> of what WORM is.<br>
Can anyone quote the four definitions proposed already?<br>
Does anyone know the regulatory definition that drives e.g. the U.S.<br>
market?<br>
Pat LaVarre<br>
*<br>
* For T10 Reflector information, send a message with<br>
* 'info t10' (no quotes) in the message body to majordomo at t10.org<br>
</tt></font>
--=_alternative 0014187B07256ED2_=--