SAS Drive - Presence detect

William Gintz wcgintz at ix.netcom.com
Wed Jul 14 17:43:18 PDT 2004

* William Gintz <wcgintz at ix.netcom.com>
*
Hello Kevin
  Depends on which drive ground you use; For example, use of any ground =
pin=20
adjacent to serial data pin could have significant Signal Integrity
and/or EMI consequences.There are also other potential dc path =
problems,=20
possibly altering hot plugging and transmission line  transients.

  Necessary bypassing and impedance control solutions are non trivial.=20
Subsequent confirmation of functionality, noise margin very desirable.
  Some "home work" to be done on the drive side circuit paths.

Bill

At 03:28 PM 7/13/2004, Kevin Khuu wrote:
>* "Kevin Khuu" <kevin98146 at hotmail.com>
>*
>Is there anything wrong with using one of the GND pins on the SAS hard =

>drive connector as presence detect?
>On the SAS hard drive backplane, I have this presence detect signal =
pulled=20
>up to VDD.  When I plugged in a SAS hard drive, the GND pin on the =
hard=20
>drive would pull this signal low.
>
>Thanks,
>Kevin

>Get fast, reliable Internet access with MSN 9 Dial-up =AD now 2 months =
FREE!
>http://join.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200361ave/direct/01/
>
>*

regards,