SPC-3 editorial inconsistency

Gerry.Houlder at seagate.com Gerry.Houlder at seagate.com
Wed Jan 21 11:57:16 PST 2004

* Gerry.Houlder at seagate.com
*

I agree that the different tables should agree on the same meanings for the
code letters. If different definitions are needed they should use a new
code letter, not one that has a different meaning in a different table.

My suggestions would be M=Mandatory, O=Optional, V=Vendor Specific,
Z=Obsolete, C=Command set specific. I think this matches Ed's suggestions.

As far as using X to say "inplementation is defined in this standard", I
would say this is unnecessary. There is a separate column that indicates
the clause number in this standard or alternative standard in which it is
defined. The one item with this useage should be changed to M, O, or C
(which ever is deemed appropriate) and the item dropped from the
definitions.

                      "Edward A.
                      Gardner"                 To:       T10 Reflector <t10 at t10.org>
                      <eag at ophidian.com        cc:
                      >                        Subject:  SPC-3 editorial inconsistency
                      Sent by:
                      owner-t10 at t10.org
                      No Phone Info
                      Available

                      01/21/2004 11:32
                      AM

* "Edward A. Gardner" <eag at ophidian.com>
*
I encountered the following while reviewing the minutes from last week's
meetings.  While arguably trivial, it did manage to leave me thoroughly
confused for several minutes.  Ralph has agreed to make the suggested
change, but asked me to post this to the reflector first.

SPC-3 annex C uses the following codes in Table C.2, Table C.3, Table C.4
and file op-num.txt:

M = Mandatory
O = Optional
V = Vendor specific
Z = Obsolete

However Table 38 in clause 6.1 uses the following codes for substantially
similar information:

M = Command implementation is mandatory.
O = Command implementation is optional.
OB = Command implementation is defined in a previous standard
X = Command implementation requirements given in reference subclause of
this standard.
Z = Command implementation is device type specific.

The use of different codes for the same information, particularly the
different interpretation of "Z", is quite confusing.

Recommended change:

In Table 38, clause 6.1, make the following changes:

Change all occurrences of the code "Z" to "C" (for command set).  Also,
command implementation is defined by command set standards, we have no
"device type" standards, so change the definition of this code to read:

  C Command implementation is defined in the applicable
     command standard (see 3.1.17)

Change all occurrences of the code "OB" to "Z".

Edward A. Gardner               eag at ophidian dot com
Ophidian Designs                719 593-8866 voice
1262 Hofstead Terrace           719 210-7200 cell
Colorado Springs, CO  80907

* 'info t10' (no quotes) in the message body to majordomo at t10.org

* 'info t10' (no quotes) in the message body to majordomo at t10.org