Draft minutes of SAS Protocol Working Group -- Jan 12, 2004

John Lohmeyer lohmeyer at t10.org
Tue Jan 13 10:45:02 PST 2004


* From the T10 Reflector (t10 at t10.org), posted by:
* John Lohmeyer <lohmeyer at t10.org>
*

 SAS WG Minutes Accredited Standards Committee*
InterNational Committee for Information Technology Standards (INCITS)

                                                   Doc. No.: T10/04-037r0
                                                       Date: January 13, 2004
                                                   Reply to: John Lohmeyer
To:       T10 Membership
From:     Ralph Weber and John Lohmeyer
Subject:  SAS Protocol WG -- January 12, 2004
          Chandler, AZ

Agenda
1.     Opening Remarks
2.     Approval of Agenda
3.     Attendance and Membership
4.     Old Business
4.1      SAS-1.1: Transport Layer Retries (03-186r4) [Elliott/Jones]
4.2      SAS 1.1, adding the Terminate Data Transfer protocol service (03-245r3)
[Evans]
4.3      SAS-1.1, protocol for changing driver amplitude (03-285r2) [Evans]
4.4      SAS-1.1 ALIGN insertion clarifications (03-334r2) [Elliott]
5.     New Business
5.1      SAS 1.1 READY LED signal behavior (04-027r0) [Cox]
5.2      SAS-1.1:Clarify phy disable in route-table initialization (04-028r0)
[Sheffield]
5.3      SAS-1.1:Close Port Selector Detection Gap (04-029r0) [Sheffield]
5.4      SAS-1.1 ALIGNs through expanders (04-032r0) [Elliott]
5.5      SAS-1.1:AIP clarifications and XL state transition (04-036r0) [Hoglund]
5.6      SAS 1.1 UML Corrections (04-042r0) [Penokie]
6.     Review of Recommendations
7.     Meeting Schedule
8.     Adjournment


Results of Meeting

1.     Opening Remarks

John Lohmeyer called the meeting to order at 9:05 a.m. Monday, January 12,
2004. He thanked Bob Sheffield of Intel for hosting the meeting. As usual, the
people present introduced themselves.


2.     Approval of Agenda

The draft agenda was approved with no changes.

No items were added or revised during the course of the meeting.


3.     Attendance and Membership

Attendance at working group meetings does not count toward minimum attendance
requirements for T10 membership. Working group meetings are open to any person
or organization directly and materially affected by T10's scope of work. The
following people attended the meeting:

         Name          S        Organization         Electronic Mail Address
---------------------- -- ------------------------- -------------------------
Ms. Pat Thaler         P  Agilent Technologies      pat_thaler at agilent.com
Mr. Neil Wanamaker     AV AMCC                      nwanamaker at amcc.com
Mr. Murali Rajagopal   V  Broadcom Corp.            muralir at broadcom.com
Mr. Titkwan Hui        A  Dallas Semiconductor      tk.hui at dalsemi.com
Ms. Elizabeth          V  Dot Hill Systems Corp     elizabeth.rodriguez@
Rodriguez                                           dothill.com
Mr. Robert H. Nixon    P  Emulex                    bob.nixon at emulex.com
Mr. Ralph O. Weber     P  ENDL Texas                roweber at ieee.org
Mr. Mike Fitzpatrick   P  Fujitsu                   mfitzpatrick at fcpa.
                                                    fujitsu.com
Mr. Tim Mackley        A  General Dynamics          timothy.mackley at gd-ais.
                                                    com
Mr. Rob Elliott        P  Hewlett Packard Co.       Elliott at hp.com
Mr. Steven Fairchild   V  Hewlett Packard Co.       Steve.Fairchild at hp.com
Mr. George O. Penokie  P  IBM / Tivoli Systems      gop at us.ibm.com
Mr. Robert Sheffield   P  Intel Corp.               robert.l.sheffield at intel.
                                                    com
Mr. Dennis Moore       AV KnowledgeTek, Inc.        dmoore at ix.netcom.com
Mr. Brian Day          V  LSI Logic Corp.           brian.day at lsil.com
Mr. Tim Hoglund        V  LSI Logic Corp.           tim.hoglund at lsil.com
Mr. Steve Johnson      V  LSI Logic Corp.           sjohnson at lsil.com
Mr. John Lohmeyer      P  LSI Logic Corp.           lohmeyer at t10.org
Mr. Steven Schauer     V  LSI Logic Corp.           steve.schauer at lsil.com
Mr. Doug Cole          V  Maxim/Dallas              doug.cole at dalsemi.com
                          Semiconductor
Mr. Martin Czekalski   A  Maxtor Corp.              marty_czekalski at maxtor.
                                                    com
Mr. Mark Evans         P  Maxtor Corp.              mark_evans at maxtor.com
Ms. Rachelle Trent     AV PMC-Sierra                rachelle_trent at pmc-
                                                    sierra.com
Mr. Craig W. Carlson   A# QLogic Corp.              craig.carlson at qlogic.com
Mr. Don Carothers      V  QLogic Corp.              don.carothers at qlogic.com
Mr. Greg Elkins        V  QLogic Corp.              greg.elkins at qlogic.com
Mr. Gilbert Romo       V  QLogic Corp.              gil.romo at qlogic.com
Mr. Jim Jones          A  Quantum Corp.             jim.jones at quantum.com
Mr. Jim Coomes         A  Seagate Technology        jim.coomes at seagate.com
Mr. Edward J.          V  Vitesse Semiconductor     davignon at vitesse.com
D'Avignon
Mr. Gregory Tabor      AV Vitesse Semiconductor     greg at vitesse.com

31 People Present

Status Key:  P    -  Principal
             A,A# -  Alternate
             AV   -  Advisory Member
             L    -  Liaison
             V    -  Visitor


4.     Old Business

4.1    SAS-1.1: Transport Layer Retries (03-186r4) [Elliott/Jones]

Rob Elliott presented a review of the proposed transport layer retry rules and
state machines (03-186r4). The group requested several editorial changes and
Rob agreed to prepare a new revision.

Rob Elliott moved that 03-186r5 (r4 as modified) be recommended for inclusion
in SAS-1.1. Mark Evans seconded the motion. In the absence of any objections,
the motion passed unanimously.

4.2    SAS 1.1, adding the Terminate Data Transfer protocol service (03-245r3)
[Evans]

Mark Evans presented a proposal for canceling outstanding protocol service
transactions (03-245r3). He noted that changes in this proposal revise changes
in the just-recommended 03-186r5 proposal.

The group asked that Mark update his proposal based on the discussion of
03-186r4 and to make other minor changes. Mark agreed to prepare a new
revision of the proposal for consideration at the next meeting.

4.3    SAS-1.1, protocol for changing driver amplitude (03-285r2) [Evans]

Mark Evans presented proposed protocol changes that would allow changing
driver signal amplitude (03-285r2). Mark received advice from Bob Sheffield,
Steve Schauer, and Tim Hoglund regarding the operation of a SATA port
selector, so that the proposal could be revised to properly reflect port
selector and expander behavior.

Mark agreed to prepare a new revision of the proposal for consideration at the
next meeting.

4.4    SAS-1.1 ALIGN insertion clarifications (03-334r2) [Elliott]

Rob Elliott presented a proposal to address issues with ALIGN and NOTIFY
insertion for clock skew management and rate matching (03-334r2). The group
requested editorial changes and Rob agreed to prepare a new revision.

Rob Elliott moved that 03-334r3 (r2 as modified) be recommended for inclusion
in SAS-1.1. Tim Hoglund seconded the motion. In the absence of any objections,
the motion passed unanimously.


5.     New Business

5.1    SAS 1.1 READY LED signal behavior (04-027r0) [Cox]

Jim Coomes presented a proposal to restore a previously removed paragraph that
describes LEDs as being off when a drive has spun down and it is safe to move
the drive (04-027r0). He reminded the group of the problems associated with
moving disk drives while the platters are still spinning and the importance of
informing operators when it is save to move a drive.

Steve Fairchild pointed out that operators move drives when they want to,
which is the practical, real world definition of hot plugging.

The group requested changes and Jim agreed to revise the proposal.

Jim Coomes moved that 04-027r1 (r0 as modified) be recommended for inclusion
in SAS-1.1. Mark Evans seconded the motion. In the absence of any objections,
the motion passed unanimously.

5.2    SAS-1.1:Clarify phy disable in route-table initialization (04-028r0)
[Sheffield]

Bob Sheffield presented a proposal to replace the SMP CONFIGURE ROUTE
INFORMATION with PHY CONTROL for disabling phys (04-028r0).

The group requested the addition of details in the proposed new text
describing the phys to be disabled to break loops. The group requested that
text duplicating information already in SAS be removed from the proposal. Bob
agreed to prepare a new revision.

Bob Sheffield moved that 04-028r1 (r0 as modified) be recommended for
inclusion in SAS-1.1. Rob Elliott seconded the motion. In the absence of any
objections, the motion passed unanimously.

5.3    SAS-1.1:Close Port Selector Detection Gap (04-029r0) [Sheffield]

Bob Sheffield presented a proposal to add information about the validity of
port selector information reported by the Discover function (04-029r0).

The group requested substantial changes and Bob agreed to rewrite the proposal
for consideration at the next meeting.

5.4    SAS-1.1 ALIGNs through expanders (04-032r0) [Elliott]

Rob Elliott presented a proposal regarding rate matching aligns (04-032r0).
The group discussed the motivation for the proposal.

Concerns were raised about making the change this week and it was noted that
phy designers need to review this proposal carefully. Rob agreed to bring the
proposal back to the next meeting.

5.5    SAS-1.1:AIP clarifications and XL state transition (04-036r0) [Hoglund]

Tim Hoglund presented several clarifications to the AIP and XL state machines
(04-036r0). The group requested minor changes and Tim agreed to prepare a new
revision.

Tim Hoglund moved that 04-036r1 (r0 as modified) be recommended for inclusion
in SAS-1.1. Rob Elliott seconded the motion. In the absence of any objections,
the motion passed unanimously.

5.6    SAS 1.1 UML Corrections (04-042r0) [Penokie]

George Penokie proposed corrections to the SAS UML diagrams intended to make
the notation consistent with standard UML (04-042r0). The group requested
changes and George agreed to prepare a new revision for consideration at the
next meeting.


6.     Review of Recommendations

The following documents were recommended for inclusion in SAS-1.1 during this
meeting:

SAS-1.1: Transport Layer Retries (03-186r5) [Elliott/Jones] {r4 as modified,
unanimous}
SAS-1.1 ALIGN insertion clarifications (03-334r3) [Elliott] {r2 as modified,
unanimous}
SAS 1.1 READY LED signal behavior (04-027r1) [Cox] {r0 as modified, unanimous}
SAS-1.1:Clarify phy disable in route-table initialization (04-028r1)
[Sheffield] {r0 as modified, unanimous}
SAS-1.1:AIP clarifications and XL state transition (04-036r1) [Hoglund] {r0 as
modified, unanimous}


7.     Meeting Schedule

A SAS Protocol Working Group meeting is scheduled for:

Monday, March 8, 2004 commencing at 9:00 a.m. in Dana Point, CA at the Laguna
Cliffs Marriott Hotel (949-661-5000), hosted by QLogic Corp.

Teleconference calls may be announced on the T10 reflector as needed.


8.     Adjournment

The meeting was adjourned at 5:25 p.m. on Monday January 12, 2004.

 
*
* For T10 Reflector information, send a message with
* 'info t10' (no quotes) in the message body to majordomo at t10.org




More information about the T10 mailing list