More SBC-2 items to obsolete

Lawrence Chen LawrenceChen at MaXXan.com
Mon Aug 30 11:21:42 PDT 2004

* "Lawrence Chen" <LawrenceChen at MaXXan.com>
*
Hi Ralph,

Let me remind you that in 1997-2000+, the industry used the
FC-PLDA disk attach profile as a development and interoperability
guide. IMHO, this profile, along with the many participating
companies and UNH, was a huge reason for the success of the FC market
today.

At the time, the FC-PH-1/2, FC-AL-1/2, FCP, SAM, SPC, SBC, and SCC-1/2
standards were all relevant for a typical FCP disk attachment. There
were just too many choices within each of the above standards to allow
for any meaningful interoperability. Then, along came FC-PLDA and the rest
is history.

Things have definitely calmed down since those days from an end-node
interoperability standpoint but IMO, the need for an end-node profile
up through SCSI command sets still remain.

Best Regards,

Lawrence Chen

Principal Member of Technical Staff (PMTS)
MaXXan Systems, Inc.

(408) 382-6427 (V)
(832) 382-6599 (F)
(408) 204-2460 (C)