[t13] T10/04-262r1

Curtis Stevens curtis.stevens at wdc.com
Mon Aug 16 10:36:54 PDT 2004

* "Curtis Stevens" <curtis.stevens at wdc.com>
*
Jeff

	You make some really good points...

1. I have not really built in the ability to change PIO/DMA modes using
standard set features.  I will include a warning...
2. You generally have to follow the rules.  I have provided protocol #0 as
an out just for that reason.  However, I can put in a warning to make it
more clear.
3. I chose the list of protocols because I do not need to define them here.
The list is taken directly from ATA/ATAPI-7.  The developer of the
translator has an abundance of documentation on the protocols listed.  I do
not think there is anyway to future proof this.
4. I will add vendor specific commands to this list.  However, WD uses log
pages for transporting vendor specific commands.  Ergo, this is not a
limitation for WD drives.
5. I agree that DMA and UDMA are virtually the same.
6. I am including the DMA bit because some very simple devices will not
implement the protocol field.  DMA, Direction, and Length really give you
all the information you need for the vast majority of commands and makes for
smaller implementation in some environments.

Curtis E. Stevens
20511 Lake Forest Dr.  #C 214-D
Lake Forest, Ca. 92630

Phone: 949-672-7933