BCA Read

Jim Taylor jtfrog at usa.net
Tue Sep 23 19:39:06 PDT 2003

* "Jim Taylor" <jtfrog at usa.net>
*
Hi Katata-san,

Thank you for your concern, but I am not at all confused. I understand that
ECMA-267 is a disc specification. Does that mean it's optional for drive
manufacturers to pay attention to things in the specification such as ECC or
tracking control or reflectivity ranges? It would be much easier to make
drives that don't perform error correction or don't worry so much about
tracking, right?

I understand that the DVD spec part 3 (DVD-Video) is also a disc
specification, not a player specification. Does that mean it's ok for DVD
players to not support menus, or perhaps not bother with multiple angles.

Should DVD-ROM drives not support CSS authentication, since that's a
completely different spec? Surely that would make the drive cheaper.

I'm being facetious, but my point is that ECMA-267 is a disc specification,
as you say, but disc specifications make mandatory requirements of the
drives and players. There is no drive specification -- only a disc
specification, so that's what drive makers must follow.

I've heard from people who have looked into BCA reading that approximately
90% of the drives they tested could read BCA. So it doesn't seem too hard
for the other 10% of drive makers to fix their problem.

--Jim