Please review 03-271 regarding basic task management model

Peter Johansson PJohansson at ACM.org
Fri Oct 10 11:44:34 PDT 2003

At 02:45 AM 9/13/2003 -0500, Elliott, Robert (Server Storage) wrote:

>Please review the rewrite of the basic task management model in 03-271
>(page 4 of 03-271r0) and let me know if it's defined correctly.  Ralph
>Weber indicated you probably had the most interest in the feature.  If T10
>adopts the proposal and obsoletes untagged tasks, we might see some
>logical units start to support this model as a replacement.

Rob, Ralph et al, the revised basic task management model is substantially
aligned with SBP, but not completely. You might refer to 10.3 in SBP-3
Revision 5 as background; I believe that this clause was aligned with SAM
at some point in time.

The principal difficulty with the basic task management model specified by
03-271 is that it permits only SIMPLE tasks. SBP allows the tasks in a task
set to be either all SIMPLE or all ORDERED---and the choice is determined
not by the initiator but by the logical unit implementation. Could 03-271
be modified to accommodate this?

Regards,

Peter Johansson

Congruent Software, Inc.