Obsoleting SBC-2 functions

Mike Ito mike at yfl.fujitsu.com
Mon Nov 17 02:21:52 PST 2003

* Mike Ito <mike at yfl.fujitsu.com>
*
%% George Penokie <gop at us.ibm.com>
%% Obsoleting SBC-2 functions
%% Fri, 14 Nov 2003 13:21:20 -0600

Currently "Optical memory device type" are in the market as Asia,Europe.
It's not obsolete, I think. But there are not using commands, we can review them.

ATAPI,USB devices are using "Flexible Disk mode page”. The BIOS are requesting
to support of these devices and not obsolete.

Best regards,
Mike Ito(Fujitsu)

> The SBC-2 standard currently contains many options that appear to no
> longer be needing either because the functions are defined elsewhere or
> because the functions no longer relevant in future (or current) block
> devices.
>
> This is a warning that the following will be obsoleted from the SBC-2
> standard unless someone comes forward with a justification as to why they
> should not be obsoleted:
>
> Write-once device type
> Optical memory device type
> Flexible Disk mode page
> In the Format Device mode page, all fields except Sectors Per Track
> Medium Types Supported mode page
> In the Read-Write Error Recovery mode page: Correction Span, Head Offset
> Count, and Data Strobe Offset Count fields
> In the Rigid Disk Geometry mode page: Starting Cylinder-Write Precomp,
> Starting Cylinder-Reduced Write, Device Step Rate, Landing Zone Cylinder,
> RPL, and Rotational Offset fields
> Rotational position locking section in the model (4.2.1.12)
> Sequential media section in the model (4.2.2.3)
>
> Bye for now,
> George Penokie
>
> Dept 2C6  114-2 N212
> E-Mail:    gop at us.ibm.com
> Internal:  553-5208
> External: 507-253-5208   FAX: 507-253-2880

---
Masahiro Ito, Yamagata Fujitsu Limited
E-Mail:mike at yfl.fujitsu.com
FONE:+81-237-43-7150(DID)  FAX:+81-237-43-7155

* 'info t10' (no quotes) in the message body to majordomo at t10.org