SBP 1394 hard drives hang with Windows XP (rare)

Peter Johansson PJohansson at acm.org
Mon May 12 16:37:47 PDT 2003

* Peter Johansson <PJohansson at ACM.org>
*
At 10:14 AM 5/12/2003 -0600, Pat LaVarre wrote:

>Are we just saying it's easy to find a bridge that copies only one byte of
>TransferLength to IDE from ORB, rather than two, no matter the op?

No, that's not what I'm trying to say, Pat---but I do appreciate your
clarification on ATA.

I was trying to say that the fault appears more likely to be in the bridge
chip firmware than in host OS software. Except to the firmware engineer
assigned to fix the problem, it's not a critical distinction whether the
bridge chip firmware is a) failing to split one RBC command into multiple
ATA commands, b) failing to copy a 16-bit transfer length properly or c)
failing for some other error in code implementation.

This whole reflector thread suggests the need for better qualification
tests ...

Regards,

Peter Johansson

Congruent Software, Inc.