[t10] simple Windows test application

Pat LaVarre LAVARRE at iomega.com
Mon May 5 12:52:08 PDT 2003

* "Pat LaVarre" <LAVARRE at iomega.com>
*
> From: Mike Berhan [mikeb at bidali.com]
> Subject: 1394 bridge chip information
> Subject: RE: SBP 1394 hard drives hang with Windows XP (rare)
> simple Windows test application ...
> reads 128 sectors and increments by one sector
> in a loop up to 1024 sectors ...
> you should assume ... will corrupt the drive.
> If you're interested, please e-mail ...

Myself I'd like to see more of this kind of thing appear in Google.

In Linux, I hear this kind of test is a canned part of the system named `dd`:
http://www.google.com/search?q=man+dd&btnI=lucky

Lately I've begun to think someone ought to donate a `dd` for Windows into the public domain.  I have myself vanity-published pieces of such a thing near places like:

http://members.aol.com/plscsi/windows.html
http://members.aol.com/plforth/console/scsi/
http://groups.google.com/groups?scoring=d&q=windows+scsi+%22pass+through%22

Seems foolish for each of us to pour more years into reinventing this wheel, out of a mistaken belief that a few of us could persuade many of the rest of us to pay money to help out for as long as each successive business plan lasts.

Pat LaVarre

* 'info t10' (no quotes) in the message body to majordomo at t10.org