SAS Maximum number of devices

Hugh Curley hcurley at indra.com
Mon Mar 3 08:45:38 PST 2003

* "Hugh Curley" <hcurley at indra.com>

------=_NextPart_000_0098_01C2E169.A5585340

Hello,
=20
Rev 03d, Section 4.1.8.1 states that a fanout expander may attach to no
more than 128 edge expander device set or SAS ports.
=20
Rev 03d, Section 4.1.8.3 states that an edge expander shall contain no
more than 128 physical links to expander, initiators or targets.
=20
>From this, on the fanout expander, since it specifies the max number of
ports as 128, I assume that if each port is wide with 4 phys, then a
fanout expander could have 512 phys. =20
=20
I also believe that an edge expander device set could be connected with
a wide port, hence the above is true for them also.
=20
I do not think this is intended.  Section 4.1.8.1 should specify a
maxiumum of 128 phys, the same of an edge expander.
=20
Am I reading this correctly?
=20
Hugh Curley
hcurley at indra.com  =20

------=_NextPart_000_0098_01C2E169.A5585340

 Hello,

 Rev 03d, Section 4.1.8.1 states that a = fanout=20 expander may attach to no more than 128 edge expander device set or SAS = ports.

 Rev 03d, Section 4.1.8.3 states that = an edge=20 expander shall contain no more than 128 physical links to = expander,=20 initiators or targets.

 From this, on the fanout expander, = since it=20 specifies the max number of ports as 128, I assume that if each = port is=20 wide with 4 phys, then a fanout expander could have 512 phys. =20

 I also believe that an edge expander = device set=20 could be connected with a wide port, hence the above is true for them=20 also.

 I do not think this = is intended.  Section=20 4.1.8.1 should specify a maxiumum of 128 phys, the same of an edge = expander.

 Am I reading this = correctly?

 Hugh Curley
 hcurley at indra.com

------=_NextPart_000_0098_01C2E169.A5585340--