Interaction between untagged task and simple task?

Ralph Weber ralphoweber at compuserve.com
Fri Jul 25 17:00:41 PDT 2003

* Ralph Weber <ralphoweber at compuserve.com>
*
Kevin,

The following two cases are identical:

write   (untagged)          write   (simple)
inquiry (simple)            inquiry (simple)
write   (untagged)          write   (simple)

The only difference between the two cases is that
the case on the left cannot have both write commands
in the task set at the same time, whereas the case
on the right might describe the total contents of
a task set.

You have, in fact, found the SAM-3 statement that defines
the behavior:

    "... and implicitly a SIMPLE task attribute ..."

While I am not advocating any specific implementations,
a legitimate implementation for untagged tasks is to
assign them the SIMPLE task attribute and an impossibly
large tag value (e.g., 0xFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF).

Hope this helps,

.Ralph

* 'info t10' (no quotes) in the message body to majordomo at t10.org