Draft minutes of SAS Protocol WG -- July 7, 2003

John Lohmeyer lohmeyer at t10.org
Tue Jul 8 14:34:20 PDT 2003


* From the T10 Reflector (t10 at t10.org), posted by:
* John Lohmeyer <lohmeyer at t10.org>
*

 SAS Protocol WG Accredited Standards Committee*
InterNational Committee for Information Technology Standards (INCITS)

                                                      Doc. No.: T10/03-246r0
                                                          Date: July 8, 2003
                                                      Reply to: John Lohmeyer
To:       T10 Membership
From:     Ralph Weber and John Lohmeyer
Subject:  SAS Protocol WG -- July 7, 2003
          Colorado Springs, CO

Agenda
1.     Opening Remarks
2.     Approval of Agenda
3.     Attendance and Membership
4.     Old Business
4.1      SAS-1.1: CRC on Frame Header [Roberts]
4.2      SAS-1.1: Transport Layer Retries (03-186r1) [Elliott/Jones]
4.3      SAS-1.1: SATA II Port Selector Interoperability (03-155r1) [Sheffield]
5.     New Business
5.1      Results of SAS Public Review [Lohmeyer]
5.2      SAS Changes from SAS-R04 to SAS-R04a (03-223r0) [Elliott]
5.3      SAS: Notify primitive issues (03-228r2) [Penokie]
5.4      SAS-1.1 Transport Layer Retries Ladder Diagrams (03-229r0)
[Jones/Elliott]
5.5      SES-2 Updated SAS Device Element Status descriptor (03-214r0)
[Elliott]
5.6      SAS-1.1 Internal wide connector (03-240r0) [Elliott]
5.7      SAS-1.1 Adding two new protocol services (03-245r0) [Evans]
5.8      SAS-1.1 First Burst Simplification (03-249r0) [Nixon]
6.     Review of Recommendations
7.     Meeting Schedule
8.     Adjournment


Results of Meeting

1.     Opening Remarks

John Lohmeyer called the meeting to order at 1:30 p.m. Monday, July 7, 2003.
He thanked LSI Logic for hosting the meeting. As usual, the people present
introduced themselves.


2.     Approval of Agenda

The draft agenda was approved with no changes.

No items was added or revised during the course of the meeting.


3.     Attendance and Membership

Attendance at working group meetings does not count toward minimum attendance
requirements for T10 membership. Working group meetings are open to any person
or organization directly and materially affected by T10's scope of work. The
following people attended the meeting:

         Name          S        Organization         Electronic Mail Address
---------------------- -- ------------------------- -------------------------
Mr. Walter Rassbach    V                            rassbach at nilenet.com
Mr. Richard Chen       V  Acard Technology          rchern at acard.com
Mr. Danield Weng       V  Acard Technology          dweng at acard.com
Ms. Pat Thaler         V  Agilent Technologies      pat_thaler at agilent.com
Dr. Claudio DeSanti    P  Andiamo Systems, Inc.     cds at andiamo.com
Mr. James A. Lott, Jr. P  Dallas Semiconductor      jim.lott at dalsemi.com
Mr. Kevin Marks        P  Dell Computer Corp.       kevin_marks at dell.com
Mr. Robert H. Nixon    P  Emulex                    bob.nixon at emulex.com
Mr. Ralph O. Weber     P  ENDL Texas                roweber at acm.org
Mr. Mike Fitzpatrick   P  Fujitsu                   mfitzpatrick at fcpa.
                                                    fujitsu.com
Mr. Rob Elliott        P  Hewlett Packard Co.       Elliott at hp.com
Mr. Steven Fairchild   V  Hewlett Packard Co.       Steve.Fairchild at hp.com
Mr. Dan Colegrove      P  Hitachi Global Storage    dcolegro at us.ibm.com
                          Tech.
Mr. George O. Penokie  P  IBM / Tivoli Systems      gop at us.ibm.com
Mr. Pak Seto           V  Intel                     pak-lung.seto at intel.com
Mr. Robert Sheffield   A  Intel Corp.               robert.l.sheffield at intel.
                                                    com
Mr. Dennis Moore       P  KnowledgeTek, Inc.        dmoore at ix.netcom.com
Mr. John Lohmeyer      P  LSI Logic Corp.           lohmeyer at t10.org
Mr. Brad Besmer        V  LSI Logic Corp.           brad.besmer at lsil.com
Mr. Tim Hoglund        V  LSI Logic Corp.           tim.hoglund at lsil.com
Mr. Mark Evans         P  Maxtor Corp.              mark_evans at maxtor.com
Mr. Martin Czekalski   V  Maxtor Corp.              marty_czekalski at maxtor.
                                                    com
Mr. Larrie Carr        V  PMC-Sierra, Inc.          carr at pmc-sierra.com
Mr. Craig W. Carlson   A# QLogic Corp.              craig.carlson at qlogic.com
Mr. Don Carothers      V  QLogic Corp.              don.carothers at qlogic.com
Mr. Jim Jones          A  Quantum Corp.             jim.jones at quantum.com
Mr. Gerald Houlder     P  Seagate Technology        gerry.houlder at seagate.com
Mr. Jim Coomes         V  Seagate Technology        jim.coomes at seagate.com
Mr. Vit Novak          P  Sun Microsystems, Inc.    vit.novak at sun.com
Mr. Haluk Aytac        V  Velio                     haluk at velio.com

30 People Present

Status Key:  P    -  Principal
             A,A# -  Alternate
             AV   -  Advisory Member
             L    -  Liaison
             V    -  Visitor


4.     Old Business

4.1    SAS-1.1: CRC on Frame Header [Roberts]

Ron Roberts asked that discussion of this topic removed from future agendas.

4.2    SAS-1.1: Transport Layer Retries (03-186r1) [Elliott/Jones]

Rob Elliott presented a review of the proposed transport layer retry rules
(03-186r1) and a series of ladder diagrams prepared by Jim Jones (03-229r0).
The group requested several changes and Rob agreed to prepare a new revision
for consideration at the next meeting.

4.3    SAS-1.1: SATA II Port Selector Interoperability (03-155r1) [Sheffield]

Bob Sheffield asked that discussion of this topic be deferred to the next
meeting.


5.     New Business

5.1    Results of SAS Public Review [Lohmeyer]

John Lohmeyer reported that the Public Review on SAS closes today. To date, no
Public Review comments have been received. However, John stated that INCITS
has been requested to suspend processing of SAS pending development of several
substantive and non-substantive changes proposed by on the T10 reflector and
covered in agenda items 5.2 and 5.3 of this meeting.

John noted that he expects this group to recommend SAS r05 for a second public
review.

5.2    SAS Changes from SAS-R04 to SAS-R04a (03-223r0) [Elliott]

Rob Elliott presented a summary of the changes between SAS r04 and SAS r04a
(03-223r0). He noted that other problems indicate the need for changes in SAS
r05. The complete list of changes between SAS r04 and SAS 05 will appear in
03-223r1 to be uploaded after this meeting.

The group reviewed 03-223r0 and the additional changes and advised Rob
regarding other minor changes.

Rob Elliott moved that 03-223r1 (r0 as revised) be recommended for inclusion
in SAS r05. John Lohmeyer seconded the motion. In the absence of any
objections, the motion passed unanimously.

5.3    SAS: Notify primitive issues (03-228r2) [Penokie]

George Penokie presented a collection of three issues related to the Notify
primitive (03-228r1). Rob Elliott noted that one occurrence of misuse of
"receives" described in 03-228r1 had been overlooked and George agreed to
prepare a new revision.

George Penokie moved that 03-228r2 (r1 as revised) be recommended for
inclusion in SAS r05. Rob Elliott seconded the motion. In the absence of any
objections, the motion passed unanimously.

5.4    SAS-1.1 Transport Layer Retries Ladder Diagrams (03-229r0)
[Jones/Elliott]

This topic was discussed under item 4.2.

5.5    SES-2 Updated SAS Device Element Status descriptor (03-214r0) [Elliott]

Rob Elliott asked the group to inspect the proposed SAS Device Element Status
descriptor for SES-2 (03-214r0). He noted that the proposal will be reviewed
and formally recommended by the CAP working group (minutes in 03-247). The
group did not request changes in the proposal.

5.6    SAS-1.1 Internal wide connector (03-240r0) [Elliott]

Rob Elliott presented a proposal for a four-wide SAS internal connector
(03-240r0). Rob noted that the locking mechanism is still being discussed and
that the connector will be defined in an SFF project. The group discussed the
proposal in detail but agreed that no action needs to be taken at this time by
this group.

5.7    SAS-1.1 Adding two new protocol services (03-245r0) [Evans]

Mark Evans presented a proposal for canceling outstanding protocol service
transactions on both the initiator and target side (03-245r0).

Mark raised concerns that the proposal depends on adding two transport
services to SAM-3. Ralph Weber complained that the proposed SAM-3 changes
place new requirements on initiators and applications clients. George Penokie
countered that the changes are needed to support protocols (e.g., SAS) being
developed by T10.

The group requested changes in the wording about when state machines come into
existence and Mark agreed to prepare a new revision for consideration next
time.

5.8    SAS-1.1 First Burst Simplification (03-249r0) [Nixon]

Bob Nixon presented a proposal to allow SAS HBA implementations greater
control over the use of First Burst in (03-249r0).

The group discussed making First Burst obsolete in SAS 1.1 and rejected the
idea.

The group advised Bob to return with a specific proposal to add a First Burst
control bit in the Command IU and to include a statement that the bit may be
ignored if the First Burst Size is zero in the Disconnect-Reconnect Mode page.
Bob agreed to bring a revised proposal to the next meeting.


6.     Review of Recommendations

The following documents were recommended for approval during this meeting:

       SAS Changes from SAS-R04 to sas-r05 (03-223r1) [Elliott] unanimous for
       SAS r05
       SAS: Notify primitive issues [Penokie] (03-228r2) unanimous for SAS r05

Mark Evans moved that the group recommend conducting a second public review on
SAS r05 to T10. Rob Elliott seconded the motion. In the absence of any
objections, the motion passed unanimously.


7.     Meeting Schedule

SAS Protocol Working Group meetings are scheduled for:

Monday-Tuesday, September 8-9, 2003 commencing at 1:30 p.m. in Seattle, WA at
the Renaissance Hotel (800-278-4159), hosted by Microsoft.

Additional teleconference calls may be announced on the T10 reflector as
needed.


8.     Adjournment

The meeting was adjourned at 6:15 p.m. on Monday July 7, 2003.

 
*
* For T10 Reflector information, send a message with
* 'info t10' (no quotes) in the message body to majordomo at t10.org




More information about the T10 mailing list