ERROR primitive

Elliott, Robert (Server Storage) Elliott at hp.com
Thu Feb 13 15:31:50 PST 2003

I don't think the proposed sentence quite covers it.

SP_DWS needs to treat it as a valid dword (it isn't a negative with
regards to dword synchronization).

(Aside: The state machine that implements the "invalid dword count"
reported via the log page or SMP must not count it.  If we assume that
SP_DWS does that counting, I think it works correctly.)

The expander device XL link layer state machine treats it as a special
value (forwards it as an ERROR or converts it to SATA_ERROR [the latter
is missing in sas-r03]).

The SAS device-specific link layer state machines (SL, SSP, STP, and
SMP) and the SL_IR state machine (which could be in a SAS device or an
expander device) could be told to ignore it.  Or, they could be told to
treat it like an "invalid dword."  The former depends on CRC coverage
while the latter would guarantee an error is detected.

SATA will catch an invalid dword in a frame regardless of whether a CRC
error is detected.  SATA 1.0 specification 11.3.2.1: "on detection of a
disparity error or other 8b/10b coding violation during the receipt of a
frame, the Link Layer will retain this error information, and at the
close of the received frame the Link Layer shall provide the negative
acknowledgement, R_ERR, ... and notify the Transport Layer of the
error."

It seems prudent for SAS to treat ERROR (which is just a placeholder for
an invalid dword) the same.

Rob Elliott, elliott at hp.com
https://ecardfile.com/id/RobElliott

* 'info t10' (no quotes) in the message body to majordomo at t10.org