[t13] Re: Fwd: why not H = C = D ModeSense6 for just the header

Eschmann, Michael K michael.k.eschmann at intel.com
Thu Feb 13 09:47:27 PST 2003

This message is from the T13 list server.

I'll keep this brief and not hit on each of your points.

Your root to this thread just smacked of the byte-vs-word dilemma you are having, which is why I made the association.

Some OS's at a high level treat everything storage as "SCSI", so lower-level drivers must identify their actual device and convert SCSI-2-Whatever.  I believe this is the root-cause of your concern.  I don't know why Windows (shipped by Microsoft) don't convert all the time, but if a device (on the other side of the ATA cable from the Host Bus Adapter, controller, or call it "widget" if you wish) cannot handle the 6-byte CDB for mode sense.  The layout of data in the CDB between a 6 and 10-byte CDB differ such that if you don't re-format from one type to the other devices that can't handle the 6-byte form will return an error.  BTW, I sent the format of the CDB's in another mail, so will not repeat it here.

So I believe that the low-level driver just retries the mode-sense until it beats itself into the ground, so trying the 10-byte CDB would have been a fix.  I don't believe this is at all a band-aid to Microsoft's file system, but rather a bridge of two different standards (SCSI and ATAPI).  Just look at MMC3 and you'll see SCSI and ATAPI sections, so for proper operation use of the appropriate command on the various devices is what's needed.

I'd agree that OS pass-through mechanisms can be a root of many evils, but at the same time they allow for innovation that would otherwise be stifled.

TTFN, MKE.