"reserved" means what, according to t10

JimMcGrath at oaktech.com JimMcGrath at oaktech.com
Mon Feb 3 18:37:57 PST 2003

* JimMcGrath at oaktech.com
*

Rob,

You noted that:

   The standards are very consistent in stating that reserved values in
   defined fields shall be checked.

I'm confused - that appears to be inconsistent with the "shall not check",
"are not required to check" or "may not check" terms you cited elsewhere
(none of which can be interpreted as "shall be checked.")

The only exception I can find is for codes (my bad - I earlier said it was
command codes, but it could be page codes as well, since only the term
"code" is used in the definition).

Jim

                      "Elliott, Robert
                      (Server Storage)"        To:       <t10 at t10.org>
                      <Elliott at hp.com>         cc:
                      Sent by:                 Subject:  RE: "reserved" means what, according to t10
                      owner-t10 at t10.org

                      02/03/2003 03:49
                      PM

Not quite...

> in accordance with a future extension to this standard. The
> recipient shall not check reserved bits, bytes, words, or

The "shall not check" is actually "are not required to check" or
"may not check" (meaning "may or may not check" according to
T10 in 1999) in:
SAM-2, SAM-3
SPC-1, SPC-2, SPC-3
SPI-2, SPI-3, SPI-4, SPI-5
SBC-1, SBC-2
SSC-1, SSC-2
MMC-3, MMC-4 (MMC-1 and MMC-2 used "shall not check")

As I recall from the "may/may not" discussion in 1999, T10 felt it
was OK if certain command set or protocol standards chose to
mandate or prohibit checking, but felt that most standards should
take no position.

Rob Elliott, elliott at hp.com
* 'info t10' (no quotes) in the message body to majordomo at t10.org

* 'info t10' (no quotes) in the message body to majordomo at t10.org