"reserved" means what, according to t10

Elliott, Robert (Server Storage) Elliott at hp.com
Mon Feb 3 15:49:19 PST 2003

Not quite...

> in accordance with a future extension to this standard. The
> recipient shall not check reserved bits, bytes, words, or

The "shall not check" is actually "are not required to check" or
"may not check" (meaning "may or may not check" according to
T10 in 1999) in:
SAM-2, SAM-3
SPC-1, SPC-2, SPC-3
SPI-2, SPI-3, SPI-4, SPI-5
SBC-1, SBC-2
SSC-1, SSC-2
MMC-3, MMC-4 (MMC-1 and MMC-2 used "shall not check")

As I recall from the "may/may not" discussion in 1999, T10 felt it
was OK if certain command set or protocol standards chose to
mandate or prohibit checking, but felt that most standards should
take no position.

> fields. Receipt of reserved code values in defined fields
> shall be treated as a command parameter error and reported by
> returning command aborted."

> As you can tell, the wording is essentially identical.
>
> So while the values should be set to zero by the sender (so
> that there is a known, legacy value used), the recipient is
> NOT suppose to check it.  This allows the sender to use the
> same values for recipients at various levels of standards
> support.  However, it is up to the sender to recognize that
> sending values to a recipient that does not support the
> feature will not lead to the intended result.  The only
> exception for this is the reserved command codes, which are
> checked by the recipient.

The standards are very consistent in stating that reserved values
in defined fields shall be checked.

Rob Elliott, elliott at hp.com
* 'info t10' (no quotes) in the message body to majordomo at t10.org