SAS-03rf, Expander Link Layer (XL)

Elliott, Robert (Server Storage) Elliott at hp.com
Mon Apr 14 14:11:50 PDT 2003

Rob Elliott, elliott at hp.com
https://ecardfile.com/id/RobElliott

Sure.

> In the third lettered list (messages from the XL receiver) of
> Subclause 7.15.2
> XL transmitter and receiver, I believe the following messages
> are missing:
> - OPEN_ACCEPT Received, and
> - OPEN_REJECT Received.

Added to the next revision.

> Items (c) and (d) of the first lettered list of 7.15.9.1
> State description,
> define the conditions that generate Backoff Retry and Backoff
> Reverse Path
> state manage these
> arbitration issues or is it done by the expander connection manager?

The XL state machine manages both "OPENs crossing on the wire" and
an inbound OPEN arriving after an AIP.

XL only reaches XL6 when it has sent an outbound OPEN.  If an inbound
OPEN arrives and they cross on the wire,  7.12.3 has the rules for
picking the winner.  If an inbound OPEN arrives after an AIP arrives,
then it should always win.

However, 7.12.3 doesn't include the latter rule; 7.12.2.2 does.  In
the SL_CC state machine (7.14.4.3.3 SL_CC1 to SL_CC2) this behavior
is described.

In the XL's 7.15.9.1, c) and d) probably need to mention it as well.

* 'info t10' (no quotes) in the message body to majordomo at t10.org