Discussion of ADT Connector / SFF-8054

Paul.A.Suhler at seagate.com Paul.A.Suhler at seagate.com
Thu Apr 3 15:09:24 PST 2003

* Paul.A.Suhler at seagate.com
*
There has been a late request to reconsider the choice of ADT connector and
possibly the cable characteristics.  Please send your comments to me.  This
will be added to the agenda for the Tuesday, 8 April teleconference.

thanks,

Paul Suhler
ADI Facilitator
Seagate Removable Storage Solutions, LLC

----- Forwarded by Paul A Suhler/Seagate on 04/03/2003 03:00 PM -----

                      rod.wideman at adic
                      .com                     To:      Paul.A.Suhler at seagate.com, michael_banther at hp.com, kdbutt at us.ibm.com,
                                               sencarnacao at overlanddata.com, Paul.Entzel at quantum.com, Halvard.Eriksen at tandberg.com,
                      04/02/2003 07:58         k-gingerich at ti.com, Susan.Gray at quantum.com, rgriswold at crossroads.com,
                      AM                       HeckRJ1 at LOUISVILLE.STORTEK.COM, ljesion at us.ibm.com, eros at stamps.stortek.com,
                                               Tuong.Vu at am.sony.com, Chuan.Yu at seagate.com
                                               cc:
                                               Subject: RE: ADI connector drawings for review

I was finally able to gather some comments from within ADIC as follows:

"In general this connector is fine, but the 2mm pin spacing makes it a
little large.

2 mm pin spacing with 2 rows of pins would be better.

A connector which can handle 28 awg (30,32,34 awg is smaller, 26,24,22 awg
is larger) wire is best. Smaller wire gage is not recommended.

A 1.5 mm pitch connector may be the best compromise

Currently one of the drives uses a 0.8mm pitch connector and our experience
has been that the 32 awg wire is too small and the pins are difficult to
handle and crimp.

JST does have some 1.0mm pitch connectors which can handle up to 28 awg
wire."

Rod

* 'info t10' (no quotes) in the message body to majordomo at t10.org