64-bit VLBNs and READ/WRITE type CDBs

George Penokie gop at us.ibm.com
Fri Sep 20 08:59:18 PDT 2002

* George Penokie <gop at us.ibm.com>
*

Ken,

The standard does permit what you stated.

If the target lets you do the operation then the target will do what the
command requests. If the target cannot do the operation it will fail the
command.

Bye for now,
George Penokie

Dept 2C6  114-2 N212
E-Mail:    gop at us.ibm.com
Internal:  553-5208
External: 507-253-5208   FAX: 507-253-2880

                      "Ken Craig"
                      <kcraig at istor.com        To:       <t10 at t10.org>
                      >                        cc:
                      Sent by:                 Subject:  64-bit VLBNs and READ/WRITE type CDBs
                      owner-t10 at t10.org

                      09/19/02 05:16 PM

* "Ken Craig" <kcraig at istor.com>
*
I have a question regarding parameter checking for
READ/WRITE 10 and 12 CDBs when a LUN reports that
its capacity is greater than 32 bits.

I have just scanned the latest revisions of SAM, SPC,
and SBC and can find nothing that says an initiator
can not issue one of the above CDBs with a starting
logical block and transfer size that add up to more
than 32-bits if it knows the LUN's capacity is > 32
bits.  Although I don't know why an initiator would
do this it appears as if it's legal.  Is this true?

Thanks,
Kenneth Ray Craig, Jr.
* 'info t10' (no quotes) in the message body to majordomo at t10.org

* 'info t10' (no quotes) in the message body to majordomo at t10.org