SAM-3 proposal: ... Data-In and Sense Data sizes

Elliott, Robert (Server Storage) Elliott at hp.com
Thu Oct 31 06:57:27 PST 2002

They all do so to date.

>                                    This may, in due course,
> affect how HBAs are designed but from a SAM perspective that
> is nowhere near as interesting as the requirements placed on
> targets as a result of the necessary requirements in the SCSI
> Transport Protocols.
>
> As for SENSE LENGTH options, the most straight forward option
> appears to have been overlooked. SPC-3 should be modified to
> require that when allocation length is greater than 8, at
> least 8 bytes of Sense Data shall be returned.

There's no allocation length communicated to the target
in autosense.

For REQUEST SENSE, there is this rule:
"If the allocation length is eighteen or greater, and a device
server returns less than eighteen bytes of data, the application
client should assume that the bytes not transferred would have
been zeros had the evice server returned those bytes."

> The problems with the DATA-IN LENGTH proposition are similar
> to those with SENSE LENGTH. In this case, however, I take the
> absence of suitable information in the SAS Response IU as an
> indication that the current thinking in the industry that
> provision of a DATA-IN LENGTH parameter is inappropriate.

A residual is not provided in SAS response IUs for the same
reason as parallel SCSI - the initiator is lockstepped with
the target and its count of data received should match the
target's count of data transmitted.  We're not worried about
losing entire data frames in a vast store-and-forward fabric.

Rob Elliott, elliott at hp.com
Industry Standard Server Storage Advanced Technology
Hewlett-Packard

* 'info t10' (no quotes) in the message body to majordomo at t10.org