SAM-3 proposal: ... Sense Data sizes

Pat LaVarre LAVARRE at iomega.com
Mon Oct 28 08:19:36 PST 2002

* "Pat LaVarre" <LAVARRE at iomega.com>
*
Can you easily elaborate?

In a place like:
http://members.aol.com/plscsi/
http://members.aol.com/plscsi/ntddk/inc/ntddscsi.h.html
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/buses/hh/buses/scsi_struct_34tu.asp
the redundancy between .SenseInfoLength and chars[SenseInfoOffset + 7] exists in part because the host controls how in/accurate the .SenseInfoLength is and the target controls how in/accurate the chars[SenseInfoOffset + 7] is.

Apps then compete over whom to trust most when.

Only recently did I learn, for example, that a zeroed additionalLength in op x03 RequestSense data meant (xE - (7 + 1)) for the simulated Cd drives of a Connectix Virtual PC, until this year or so.  AFAIK, Microsoft is still shipping zeroed additionalLength in op x12 Inquiry data (meaning x24 - (4 + 1)).

Given that such inconsistencies exist in some places, I'm curious to understand why we would not want to provide a way to forward them faithfully.

Curiously yours in truly breathtaking ignorance, Pat LaVarre