SAS address of all zeros means invalid

Elliott, Robert (Server Storage) Elliott at hp.com
Wed Oct 16 15:48:36 PDT 2002

------_=_NextPart_001_01C27566.29B4E5D1

During the editor's meeting a few weeks ago, it was proposed that a SAS
address of all zeros (00000000_00000000h) be considered "invalid."  =
This
is handy for any data structure that contains an attached SAS address
(e.g. mode pages, log pages, SMP functions), eliminating the need for =
an
accompanying VALID bit. IDENTIFY address frames would be prohibited =
from
claiming the invalid address.

FC-FS defines the NAA value of 0h as "ignored", so this does not =
overlap
with any addresses in the NAA namespace.=20

Since this is a new technical feature, I suggest we vote on this on the
next conference call or the Las Vegas meeting.  I don't plan to prepare
a written proposal for it.  I've already started incorporating it into
the interim SAS drafts as part of the editorial review.

--=20
Rob Elliott, elliott at hp.com=20
Industry Standard Server Storage Advanced Technology=20
Hewlett-Packard=20

------_=_NextPart_001_01C27566.29B4E5D1

SAS address of all zeros means invalid During the editor's meeting a few = weeks ago, it was proposed that a SAS address of all zeros = (00000000_00000000h) be considered ;invalid.;  This is = handy for any data structure that contains an attached SAS address = (e.g. mode pages, log pages, SMP functions), eliminating the need for = an accompanying VALID bit. IDENTIFY address frames would be prohibited = from claiming the invalid address. FC-FS defines the NAA value of 0h as = ;ignored;, so this does not overlap with any addresses in the = NAA namespace. Since this is a new technical feature, = I suggest we vote on this on the next conference call or the Las Vegas = meeting.  I don't plan to prepare a written proposal for it.  = I've already started incorporating it into the interim SAS drafts as = part of the editorial review. --
Rob Elliott, elliott at hp.com
Industry Standard Server Storage = Advanced Technology
Hewlett-Packard

------_=_NextPart_001_01C27566.29B4E5D1--