Load Unload Hold bit vs. Control Mode page Autoload Mode

Paul Entzel Paul.Entzel at quantum.com
Wed Oct 2 07:34:56 PDT 2002

* Paul Entzel <Paul.Entzel at quantum.com>
*
Kevin,
My interpretation of the AUTOLOAD MODE field is that if affects the
operation of the device for an action that does not involve a SCSI command
to that device.  I came to this conclusion based on the description of
AUTOLOAD MODE from SPC-3 "The AUTOLOAD MODE field specifies the action to be
taken by a removable medium device server when a medium is inserted."  No
mention of a SCSI command there.

Perhaps a better question is, can this "action to be taken by a removable
medium device server" be over-ridden by a SCSI command, for instance the
LOAD UNLOAD command.  In other words, if the AUTOLOAD mode says to load the
medium for full access, but while this process is happening a LOAD UNLOAD
command is received with the HOLD bit set, should the device server abort
the current load process and perform the SCSI command?  My opinion is that
it should not.  Other actions by a device server involve enabling a command,
and only one command can be enabled at a time.  The device server should
finish the implicit load operation initiated by inserting the medium before
enabling SCSI commands that also affect the medium.

The paragraph that was removed does not answer this question either.  All
that sentence did was require support for the HOLD bit if the AUTOLOAD MODE
field is changeable or non-zero.

Paul Entzel
Quantum