Start of frame character selection for ADI

Paul Entzel Paul.Entzel at quantum.com
Mon Nov 11 09:44:12 PST 2002

* Paul Entzel <Paul.Entzel at quantum.com>

------_=_NextPart_001_01C289A9.F21E3720

The ADI working group in T10 is in the process of developing a standard
for the interface between a Medium Changer type device and the Data
Transfer type device(s) (tape drives, optical disk drives, ...) that are
mounted within it.  The prevalent physical interface in use today
without a standard is RS-422.  The working group has decided that
continued use of this physical interface will allow for the most
seamless transition to the standardized interface.  This transition
period will most likely include devices that support both the
standardized protocol and one or more legacy protocols, sharing the same
physical interface.  Devices may implement algorithms to select the
protocol to use though vendor specific means.  To facilitate this
capability, the ADI working group would like to select a Start Of Frame
byte that will not interfere with current protocols used on this type of
interface, if it is at all possible.

I have been tasked by the working group with putting together a
spread-sheet to facilitate the Start Of Frame byte selection process.  I
am soliciting feedback from companies that plan on using the ADP or ADT
standards in their products in an effort to avoid collisions with legacy
protocols.  This feedback should include a list of byte values that we
should avoid using, a list of byte values that are recommended, and/or a
list of byte values that are acceptable.  This data will be put into a
spread-sheet that will be published as a T10 proposal, so please don't
send me anything proprietary.  Feedback may be sent directly to me, or
may be posted to the T10 reflector.

Thank you,
Paul Entzel
Quantum, DLTG