multi border response of ROM drive

keiji_katata at post.pioneer.co.jp keiji_katata at post.pioneer.co.jp
Fri Mar 29 03:23:26 PST 2002

* keiji_katata at post.pioneer.co.jp
*
Hi all,

I get several questions regarding response for multi-border DVD disc by
ROM/Combo device. In MMC3 & Fuji, Fabrication of TOC information for DVD media
is defined. At the making this section, same people did not like to use
"session" for DVD-R. So we did not use session in document. So many people are
confused now. To make more clear, following sentence is better.

"RZones in the last bordered area are reported as the second track in the second
session. Other previous RZones and bordered areas are reported as the first
track in the first session."

To mount the multi-session/border disc, the last session/border start address is
necessary. To report it, the last bordered area must be reported as the last
session. In case of DVD-R/RW, 300 session/bordered area can be created on a
disc. So by 99 tracks/session number, drive can not report the last. Then we
concluded that in case of DVD-R, for Read TOC command, 2 is the maximum number
for track number. This means that 2 sessions are allowed.

Even if Combo (DVD-ROM, CD-ROM/R/RW) device, this is same. So for Read Disc
Info. command, Read Track Info. command, same fabrication must be able to be
used. There is no need to report the information of a few thousand RZones, a few
hundred Border zones on a read only disc.

If necessary, I will issue document change proposal.
Let me know your comment.

Regards,

Keiji Katata
PIONEER CORP.