the Rbc abominations - page code x06, not x0B

Pat LaVarre LAVARRE at iomega.com
Thu Mar 28 16:02:00 PST 2002

* "Pat LaVarre" <LAVARRE at iomega.com>
*
Graciously offline I hear I'm not entirely nuts:

> I don't see any requirement for it.  It does require the MODE SENSE
> and MODE SELECT commands.  Usually mode pages and all their fields
> are optional.
>
> We'll see if anyone involved in RBC development has an opinion.

Now I'm going to do an odd thing to the email engine here, so I may personally
fail to reply reliably for about 10 days, but I should then see all the
traffic I've temporarily missed.  I look forward to your conclusions.

x4402 Pat LaVarre   p.lavarre at ieee.org
http://members.aol.com/plscsi/

>>> Pat LaVarre 03/28/02 04:19PM >>>
Ouch, sorry.  The page LENGTH is x0B.  The page CODE is x06.  Byte 0 of the
mode page data is x86.  The page in its entirety is x 86:0B:00:02 00:00:02:54
29:80:00:01 00, I transcribed it into English wrongly by eye, very sorry.

I meant to be asking if a compliant Rbc device has to provide "the RBC Device
Parameter mode page (06h)" or not, and where that is said.  Also may a
compliant Rbc device provide more pages.

Thanks again in advance.

x4402 Pat LaVarre   p.lavarre at ieee.org
http://members.aol.com/plscsi/

>>> Elliott, Robert 03/28/02 02:46PM >>>
* "Elliott, Robert" <Robert.Elliott at COMPAQ.com>
*
RBC doesn't have a table listing mode pages it supports.  Its section 5.8
describes its only supported page, the RBC Device Parameter mode page (06h).

SPC-3 Table B.6 agrees that this is the only defined page (except for
vendor-specific pages) for RBC device types.

If any RBC products are providing such a page, they're operating outside the
scope of RBC and SPC-3.

---
Rob Elliott, Compaq? Server Storage
Robert.Elliott at compaq.com