DT DATA IN Phase Exception Handling

George Penokie gop at us.ibm.com
Thu Mar 21 13:46:23 PST 2002

* "George Penokie" <gop at us.ibm.com>
*

Alan,
Is it illegal for a target to generate a QAS message immediately after the
'Initiator Detected Error message"?
>Yes it is illegal, a QAS message can only be sent after a DT data phase.

The wording seems to imply that target should immediately switch to DT
Data-In (IU). Is there any "wiggle room" for the target to 1st go bus free
and reconnect to send the SPI Status?

>A target may go to bus free after receiving a the message. There is
nothing stated that would prevent that behavior.

If there is "wiggle room" could a target send a QAS message after the
Initiator Detected Error message? Or, is a QAS message after a Message Out
phase completely illegal?  (SPI-4 seems to imply that a QAS message can
only
occur immediately after DT DATA phase)?

>Again no. A QAS can only be sent after a DT DATA phase.

Bye for now,
George Penokie

Dept 2C6  114-2 N212
E-Mail:    gop at us.ibm.com
Internal:  553-5208
External: 507-253-5208   FAX: 507-253-2880

                      "Spalding, AlanC"
                      <Alan_Spalding at ad        To:       T10 Reflector <t10 at t10.org>
                      aptec.com>               cc:
                      Sent by:                 Subject:  DT DATA IN Phase Exception Handling
                      owner-t10 at t10.org

                      03/21/02 02:16 PM

* "Spalding, AlanC" <Alan_Spalding at adaptec.com>
*
Hi Folks,
I've some questions on one of the DATA-IN  IU exception handling
conditions:

In SPI-4 rev 9 is 10.7.3.3.3 paragraph 4.

"If a nexus has been fully identified and the information unit that failed
was not a SPI status information unit and the message received from the
SCSI
initiator port was an INITIATOR DETECTED ERROR message then the SCSI target
port shall send a SPI L_Q/SPI status information unit pair to the SCSI
initiator port with a CHECK CONDITION status and a sense key set to ABORTED
COMMAND and an additional sense code set to INITIATOR DETECTED ERROR
MESSAGE
RECEIVED for the task associated with the received INITIATOR DETECTED ERROR
message."

Is it illegal for a target to generate a QAS message immediately after the
'Initiator Detected Error message"?

The wording seems to imply that target should immediately switch to DT
Data-In (IU). Is there any "wiggle room" for the target to 1st go bus free
and reconnect to send the SPI Status?

If there is "wiggle room" could a target send a QAS message after the
Initiator Detected Error message? Or, is a QAS message after a Message Out
phase completely illegal?  (SPI-4 seems to imply that a QAS message can
only
occur immediately after DT DATA phase)?

Thanks in advance
alan