but "Everyone knows" Scsi 3 means Scsi generally

Pat LaVarre LAVARRE at iomega.com
Thu Mar 14 10:10:49 PST 2002

* "Pat LaVarre" <LAVARRE at iomega.com>
*
Hmmm.  Here's an anecdote.  Just now I chose to point someone even more ignorant than I to <http://www.t10.org/drafts.htm#SCSI2> rather than to <http://www.t10.org/scsi-3.htm>, purely in order to avoid provoking an alienating discussion of how irrelevant Scsi 3 is or is not to a device claiming only Scsi 2 compliance.

Anyone else out there agree it would be a Good Idea to keep posted a copy of scsi-3.htm named merely scsi.htm?

A smaller change that might be almost equally useful would be to place an Html anchor such as <http://www.t10.org/scsi-3.htm#SCSI2> to point to the text that is already there:

About SCSI-2:
SCSI-2 is the predecessor to the SCSI-3 family of standards. It is a single standard containing all SCSI architecture layers for only the parallel interface. There is a companion standard for SCSI-2 called the SCSI-2 Common Access Method and SCSI Interface Module (CAM) that describes a layered software driver method for usage with SCSI-2. While most software drivers today do not exactly conform to CAM, they generally do follow its layered concepts:

If <http://www.t10.org/scsi-3.htm#SCSI2> were functional, I can see myself propagating that link, as a way to help Scsi-2 focused people appreciate that Scsi-3 isn't impossibly hard to navigate.

Yes certainly I'd prefer to have <http://www.t10.org/scsi.htm#SCSI2>, but I can see myself swallowing <http://www.t10.org/scsi-3.htm#SCSI2>, if that were the only alternative I had to <http://www.t10.org/drafts.htm#SCSI2>.

Curiously yours,

x4402 Pat LaVarre   p.lavarre at ieee.org
http://members.aol.com/plscsi/

* 'info t10' (no quotes) in the message body to majordomo at t10.org