Clearing effects of logouts on different protocols

Kevin D Butt kdbutt at us.ibm.com
Tue Mar 12 19:50:57 PST 2002

* "Kevin D Butt" <kdbutt at us.ibm.com>
*

Jocob,

I've been told that some tape drives rewind on a reset.

Kevin D. Butt
IBM Tape Products
SCSI and Fibre Channel Microcode Development
6TYA, 9032 S. Rita Rd.
Tucson, AZ  85744
Office:  (520)799-5280, Tie-line 321
Lab: (520)799-2869
Fax:  (520)799-4062
Email:  kdbutt at us.ibm.com

                      Matthew Jacob
                      <mjacob at feral.com        To:       Dave Peterson <dap at cisco.com>
                      >                        cc:       JoeBre at exabyte.com, rsnively at Brocade.COM, t10 at t10.org
                      Sent by:                 Subject:  RE: Clearing effects of logouts on different protocols
                      owner-t10 at t10.org

                      03/08/2002 03:04
                      PM
                      Please respond to
                      mjacob

On Fri, 8 Mar 2002, Dave Peterson wrote:

> RE: Clearing effects of logouts on different protocolsKeep in mind that
it
> is the OS tape driver/application that knows what going on. In practice,
> the OS tape driver/application will ensure the logical unit is in the
> proper state (from the drivers viewpoint) before reading or writing to
the
> device. If there is anything that would cause an undetected change thus
> opening a data integrity hole, it needs to be fixed or at least
> understood.
>
> What we need to do is to make sure the OS tape driver/application can
> continue to operate (within reason) across events e.g., reset conditions.
> If maintaining knowledge of the current partition is required for
> continued operation we should make every attempt to do so.

Yes, but the tape driver/application usually will make some pretty drastic
recovery choices after resets. After all, a tape device with removable
media
is just about the most stateful device I can think of- after a reset (w/o
qualifying what 'reset' means here), you have *no* idea where you are on
the
tape, or whether the tape is even the same tape any more.

You can recover from this, but usually it's a (literally) expensive
operation. If you're running something like NetWorker and were writing
to the tape, no matter where you were, you mark the tape as 'full' and load
another (via operator or from the changer). That's an expensive recovery
from
'reset' in my book.

*If* the tape driver is aware that only something like operating parameters
were changed (and then can be restored), it *might* be safe to say that you
could assume that the tape logical position is where you expected it to be
and
that the tape hasn't been changed. But that's a very big if.

-matt

* 'info t10' (no quotes) in the message body to majordomo at t10.org

* 'info t10' (no quotes) in the message body to majordomo at t10.org