less than whole lengths

Pat LaVarre LAVARRE at iomega.com
Thu Mar 7 17:03:00 PST 2002

* "Pat LaVarre" <LAVARRE at iomega.com>
*
>  It is just unfortunate (and a historical accident)
> that standard ... data is ... is not 32-bit aligned.

A accident nowadays looming larger is that so much standard data is not 64-bit
(8 byte) aligned e.g. the x24 bytes commonly moved in by the cdb x 12 0 0 0 24
0 i.e. Inquiry for up to x24 bytes.

It will be fun to see if the people who have so successfully resisted moving
anything but N * 4 bytes will soon try to move nothing but N * 8 bytes.

Often I've wished there was a way to be a Scsi device yet still insist on
never moving anything but N * K bytes, where K was my block size, like Ata
does.

Pat LaVarre

* 'info t10' (no quotes) in the message body to majordomo at t10.org