1394 Sbp-2 Annex B.2

Pat LaVarre LAVARRE at iomega.com
Wed Mar 6 13:02:09 PST 2002

I'm taking this reference to Annex B.2 to refer to the text quoted =
below.

I trust people will tell me how wrong this association of mine is, if =
it is wrong.

I hope soon to reply separately to the original thread titled "residue =
of 1394 Sbp-2 - forget it?".

Pat LaVarre

>>> Peter Johansson 03/05/02 03:53PM >>>
>Sbp-2 gives the host no standard way to ask for, and Sbp-2 gives the=20
>target no standard way to reply with, the "residue" i.e. count of =
bytes of>
 the data buffer that the target chose not to move in or out.

Take a look at ANSI NCITS 325-1998 (the published standard), Pat, in=20
particular Annex B.2. You'll find a standard way for SCSI command sets =
tor
 eturn the same basic sense data they are able to return via the other =
SCSIt
 ransport protocols. You'll find residue defined as one of the uses of =
theI
 NFORMATION field.

>>> Pat LaVarre 03/05/02 01:57PM >>>
P.S.

In Sbp-2, I found no especially relevant quotes.  The least irrelevant =
quotes included these:

Serial Bus Protocol 2 (SBP-2)
Revision 4
May 19, 1998

B.2 SCSI status and sense data

The sfmt field shall specify the format of the status block and shall =
additionally indicate whether the error
condition associated with sense_key is current or deferred. The table =
below defines permissible values for
sfmt.

0 Current error; status block format defined by this standard
1 Deferred error; status block format defined by this standard

Characteristic uses of the information field are for:

... logical block address ...; or

the residue of the requested data transfer length minus the actual data =
transfer length, in either bytes or blocks as determined by the =
command. Negative values are indicated in two's complement notation.

Set to Digest Mode:
send email to requests at isg.apple.com with subject "subscribe digest =
sbp3"

Help?: