LUN instantiation question

Peter Johansson PJohansson at acm.org
Mon Mar 4 16:18:58 PST 2002

* Peter Johansson <PJohansson at ACM.org>
*
At 09:18 PM 3/4/2002 +0000, Ricia and Michael Banther wrote:

>Does SAM-2 support dynamic instantiation of logical units?  I've searched
>the document, and it doesn't appear to disallow dynamic instantiation or
>require static instantiation.  However it doesn't appear to specifically
>support dynamic instantiation either.

My two cents worth:

SAM-2 is silent on the matter of "dynamic logical units" and doesn't really
comprehend what such a thing would be. To wit, if an initiator has
discovered, by some method, that LU x exists, subsequently addresses a
command to LU x that reveals the existence of LU q and then starts to
signal commands to LU q, the fact that LU q might or might not have existed
five minutes ago is of no concern of SAM-2.

Regards,

Peter Johansson

Congruent Software, Inc.
98 Colorado Avenue