RBC delays op x12 Inquiry?

Pat LaVarre LAVARRE at iomega.com
Fri Mar 1 09:36:54 PST 2002

* "Pat LaVarre" <LAVARRE at iomega.com>
*
I see RBC strikes the phrase "the standard INQUIRY data should be available without incurring any media access delays" from the description of op x12.

Anybody know the history Why?

Curiously yours, thanks in advance.    Pat LaVarre

* From the T10 Reflector (t10 at t10.org), ...
*
> ftp://ftp.t10.org/t10/drafts/spc3/spc3r04.pdf
> ftp://ftp.t10.org/t10/drafts/sbc2/sbc2r05.pdf
> ftp://ftp.t10.org/t10/drafts/rbc/rbc-r10a.pdf

Is there anybody here who can easily share ...

... a concise list of the binary incompatibilities of Scsi for peripheralDeviceType = x00 DirectAccess?

By a "binary incompatibility" I mean when the bit-identical Cdb is supported by two flavours of Scsi but actually means something different.

Versus classic Scsi-2, I think I remember the Sff flavour of Scsi most significantly:
1) Changed x2B Seek to be Immediate.
2) Suppressed x5A ModeSense10 block descriptors by default.
3) Zeroed the op x12 Inquiry bytes[x02] Scsi version.

Now lately I've been reminded that the Rbc flavour of Scsi most significantly:
1) Changed the op x12 Inquiry byte[x00] & x1F peripheralDeviceType = x0E Rbc DirectAccess.
2) ...

Anybody wanna complete this Rbc list for me?

And/or extend the Sff list?

Specifically I've heard ModeSense is again evil in Rbc, as it was in Sff.

* 'info t10' (no quotes) in the message body to majordomo at t10.org