SAS - primitives inside frames

Sriram Srinivasan srirams at lsil.com
Mon Jun 24 10:17:56 PDT 2002

* Sriram Srinivasan <srirams at lsil.com>
*

  In sas-r00c.pdf, clause "7.14.3 SSP frame transmission" states:

"The dword prior to the EOF always contains a CRC. The link layer shall
check that the frame length is at least 24 bytes and that the CRC is valid."

  Was this intentional?  The last time I posted a question on the reflector
the reply was that primitives are allowed anywhere in the frame and the CRC
is the last non-primitive dword before the EOF primitive.  Is this still
true?  Or can the receiving device ALWAYS count on the CRC being THE dword
before the EOF?

  Also what I missed was that caluse "7.14.7.7.1 SSP_T1:Transmit state
description" states:

  "... shall transmit an SOF in THE dword before THE FIRST DWORD of the
frame and an EOF in FIRST DWORD after the last dword of the frame"

  Which also precludes primitives right after an SOF?  Correct?  If this
were not true the wording should replace "... SOF in the dword before ..."
with "... SOF in a dword before ..."

  thank you,
  \Sriram\

	"FORGET NOT THAT THE EARTH DELIGHTS TO FEEL YOUR BARE FEET,
               AND THE WINDS LONG TO PLAY WITH YOUR HAIR"
                                          -Khalil Gibran

 Sriram Srinivasan                       Sriram.Srinivasan at lsil.com
 ASIC Design Engineer, LSI Logic,
 2001 Danfield Ct., 				Phone: 970-206-5847
 Fort Collins, CO 80525				FAX  : 970-206-5244

* 'info t10' (no quotes) in the message body to majordomo at t10.org