SAM-2 Dependent LU Address Methods LB comments

Ralph Weber ralphoweber at compuserve.com
Thu Jun 20 18:44:30 PDT 2002

* Ralph Weber <ralphoweber at compuserve.com>
*
At least one SAM-2 LB commenter has expressed the concern
that the first sentences in each of the dependent logical
unit address methods clauses say something that:

   a) Is said elsewhere in SCSI, and
   b) Has no sensible relationship to the logical unit
      addressing method.

I agree with the comments and am about to respond to them
by removing the sentences. Only a well reasoned description
of why I have lost my marbles will save these sentences.

The sentences on the chopping block (and clause identifiers
for them) are as follows:

   4.12.4 Logical unit addressing method

   All SCSI commands are allowed when the logical unit address
   method is selected, however logical units are only required
   to support mandatory SCSI commands.

   4.12.5 Peripheral device addressing method

   All SCSI commands are allowed when the peripheral device
   address method is selected, however peripheral devices are
   only required to support mandatory SCSI commands.

   4.12.6 Flat Space Addressing Method

   All SCSI commands are allowed when the flat space addressing
   method is used, however, the addressed logical unit is not
   required to support all SCSI commands.

Talk fast, or they are history.

.Ralph

* 'info t10' (no quotes) in the message body to majordomo at t10.org