SPC-3 r03 (1394 EXTENDED COPY target descriptor)

Peter Johansson PJohansson at acm.org
Thu Jan 10 17:44:12 PST 2002

* Peter Johansson <PJohansson at ACM.org>
*
At 07:01 PM 1/10/2002 -0600, Ralph Weber wrote:

>I am opposed to adding an acronym to the acronyms glossary to cover usage
>in exactly one subclause of the standard. The most
>I am willing to do here is a locally defined acronym, meaning that the
>spelled out wording must appear with the first usage.

Well, live with it. The standard is supposed to be for the productive use
of its readers, not for the convenience of its editor.

If you find it preferable, you might add a definition of "configuration
ROM" in place of an acronym. I can supply you with one. Or you might omit
both "ROM" and "configuration ROM". The presence of undefined "bus
information block" doesn't seem to perturb you; the reader may be rightly
referred to IEEE Std 1394a-2000---and the same strategy should apply to
configuration ROM. You'll find no mention of "configuration read-only
memory" in IEEE Std 1394a-2000.

>In as much as no other SCSI protocol employs EUI-64 and directory
>identifier as a SCSI target name, I see no need to change the
>cited paragraph for more generality.

Ralph, what I was pointing out has nothing to do with generality or lack
thereof. It seems to me that the descriptor in question identifies not a
target, but a logical unit. After all, it has an LUN field, doesn't it? I
would welcome comment from others.

Secondly, the correction of "IEEE 1394 EUI-64" to "IEEE EUI-64" has nothing
to with generality, either. It's about accuracy. If you visit the IEEE-SA
web site, you'll even discover that the IEEE has registered "EUI-64" as a
trademark (http://standards.ieee.org/regauth/oui/tutorials/EUI64.html). In
other words, the citation form should just be EUI-64, period.

>Until IEEE shows some sign that 1212-2001 exists, [...]

David Ringle, IEEE RevCom Administrator, wrote the Chair of IEEE P1212,
Brian Batchelder, as follows: "I am pleased to inform you that P1212 was
approved as a new standard by the IEEE-SA Standards Board on 6 December
2001.  A copy of the document will be forwarded to the Standards
Publications Department.  The editor assigned to work on the project will
contact you." I am the editor for P1212; subsequent correspondence from me
to the IEEE revealed that the published standard will be named IEEE Std
1212-2001.

I think it very disturbing that you apparently assume, as your starting
position, that I am providing you with misinformation.

>[...] either the current reference stays or no reference of any kind
>appears in the draft.

I do not believe that it is the responsibility of the SPC-3 Project Editor
to set policy. In any case, T10 documents are replete with references to
documents under development. In some unlikely scenario in which the current
revision of the CSR Architecture is not an IEEE approved standard at the
time SPC-3 undergoes its final edits, it would be appropriate to cite IEEE
P1212, Draft 2.0, June 13, 2001.

Regards,

Peter Johansson

Congruent Software, Inc.