OSD in review - February, 2002

Pat LaVarre LAVARRE at iomega.com
Wed Feb 20 14:18:43 PST 2002

* "Pat LaVarre" <LAVARRE at iomega.com>
*
Thanks for these hints ... I ended up at <http://www.snia.org/English/Work_Groups/OSD/index.html>, which, ignorant as I am, I'd summarise as:

"... With OSD, file servers can be designed in such a way that they continue to own and manage the storage but do not necessarily serve the data, effectively becoming only file managers ...

"... interoperability is achieved because many of the system-specific storage management routines are moved down into the device ...

8 Members by name: "(Intel Labs, co-chair) ... (Ciprico, co-chair) ... (Sun) ... (StorageTek) ... (Seagate) ... (MTI) ... (HP Labs) ... (StorageTek)."

"In the near term ...
T10 Standardization of SCSI extensions to support OSD commands.
IETF iSCSI Requirements for OSD commands.
Aggregation and virtualization of OSD devices.
Application of OSD in file systems and databases.

"Recent Accomplishments  ...
January 2002 - - SNIA Symposium Organizing Meeting (join us!)
November 2001 - - Work Group Kickstart
February 2000 - - established SNIA and T10 collaboration
October 1999 - - Work Group Kickoff

Pat LaVarre

>>> "Carrier, John" <John_Carrier at adaptec.com> 02/20/02 02:53PM >>>
There is an OSD implementation effort underway at SNIA.  The co-chairs of
the workgroup are Michael Mesnier [michael.mesnier at intel.com] and Tom Ruwart
[tmruwart at ciprico.com]. Though they sometimes cross-post to the T10 site,
the workgroup maintains a separate mailing list at SNIA.

--jc

* 'info t10' (no quotes) in the message body to majordomo at t10.org