Standard message sets for processor devices

Peter Johansson PJohansson at acm.org
Fri Feb 8 17:55:58 PST 2002

* Peter Johansson <PJohansson at ACM.org>
*
I'm looking into the use of the processor device class to implement some
commands that would otherwise require a new peripheral device type---a
vanishing resource!

The problem is that there doesn't seem to be any way to identify the format
of the data exchanged by the SEND and RECEIVE commands. Except for keying
the data format to the vendor ID---but this doesn't suit the purpose of a
common format shared by many processor devices from different vendors.

An ideal solution would permit a processor device to report, somewhere in
response to INQUIRY, an EUI-48 that uniquely identified the document that
specified the use of the SEND and RECEIVE commands.

EUI-48 is an IEEE neologism for an identifier made up of a 24-bit
company_ID and a 24-bit extension of the company's (or standards
organization's choosing).

Perhaps there's already some simple way to do this, but I've just pored
over SPC-3 and don't find what I need.

If there were a way to use the VENDOR IDENTIFICATION field in INQUIRY data
for a binary value (instead of the ASCII currently defined), that would work.

Regards,

Peter Johansson

Congruent Software, Inc.
98 Colorado Avenue