Request to SBC, SBC-2 from Fuji

Elliott, Robert (Server Storage) Elliott at hp.com
Wed Dec 18 08:08:08 PST 2002

Read 12
> streaming=1 may be different with streaming=0. And to recover from
fatal
> error quickly (for example fatal error due to finger print), I
proposed
> another behavior when streaming bit is set to 1, for example short
time out
> length comparing with streaming=0.
> Ordinary Read operation will take 7 - 10 sec time length when device
> performed retry seek/read and was encountered fatal error. To find
clear
> place beyond finger print, 7 - 10 sec time length is too long.
Therefor to
> use Verify command onto Real time packet, streaming bit is required.
>
> So we would like to ask Item 2 that allocate new streaming
> bit at Byte 6, bit 7 of VERIFY (10) Command.

Neither READ (12) nor WRITE (12) in SBC-2 have a "Streaming" bit today.
MMC-4's versions of those commands have that bit.

Does this belong in SBC-2's VERIFY (10) or is it best defined in
MMC-4's VERIFY (10)?

If SBC-2, does that mean its READ (12) and WRITE (12) commands need to
add
a Streaming bit?  How about VERIFY (12)?  How about READ (16), WRITE
(16),
and VERIFY (16)?

If MMC-4, should I mark that field as "Restricted" rather than
"Reserved"
in SBC-2 so it doesn't get used for something else?

Rob Elliott, elliott at hp.com
https://ecardfile.com/id/RobElliott

* 'info t10' (no quotes) in the message body to majordomo at t10.org