Communicating port identifiers and names

George Penokie gop at us.ibm.com
Tue Aug 27 15:42:27 PDT 2002

* George Penokie <gop at us.ibm.com>
*

Luben,

I suggest that an iSCSI person bring in a proposal for a new identifier
type that would handle iSCSI name requirements.

Bye for now,
George Penokie

Dept 2C6  114-2 N212
E-Mail:    gop at us.ibm.com
Internal:  553-5208
External: 507-253-5208   FAX: 507-253-2880

                      Luben Tuikov
                      <luben at splentec.         To:       George Penokie/Rochester/IBM at IBMUS, T10 <t10 at t10.org>
                      com>                     cc:
                      Sent by:                 Subject:  Re: Communicating port identifiers and names
                      luben at ns.
                      splentec.com

                      08/27/02 05:27 PM

George Penokie wrote:

> Luben,
> Yes we know. See T10 document 02-303r0.

Ok, that solves the length problem.

But I still don't know which Identifier Type to use
(Table 268, SPC-3, r8) in order to report (Target) the
SCSI Target Port Name/Identifier (same thing in iSCSI).

Currently it's limited to 233 bytes (Name(223)+,+t+,+0Xhhhh+0),
or 255 total stupulated (as per iSCSI, v16).

Looking at 5.7, it is clear that Target Port group
(Table 268) is the Target Portal Group Tag (1-FFFFh, iSCSI),
and the only logical Identifier Type to use
to report the SCSI Port Name/Identifier is the
Relative Target Port. But it only allows for 4 bytes
and it's binary only.

Should I use Vendor Specific or T10 Vendor Identification
identifier types (Table 268)? None of those
seem appropriate.

That is, I'm suggesting that the identifier ``Relative Target Port''
become ``Target Port'' and be allowed to take on ASCII values
up to 255 bytes in total length. (Table 268)

--
Luben

* 'info t10' (no quotes) in the message body to majordomo at t10.org