[T11.3] Re: Is FCP_CONF support mandatory for FC-Tape

John Tyndall jtyndall at Crossroads.com
Fri Aug 16 08:01:44 PDT 2002

INCITS T11.3 Mail Reflector
********************************
I think that Dave has it right except that I can find no language in =
FCP-2 that says that implementation is mandatory for the target. =
(Checked out Table 9 in Section 5.4 where the IU is listed as optional =
and read over 6.3.4). Some of the language around the retry bit is =
unclear, but I would think that if it is optional to use it would also =
be optional to implement.

John Tyndall
Architect
Crossroads Systems Inc.
Email  : jtyndall at crossroads.com
Phone : 512-928-7282

-----Original Message-----
From: Dave Peterson [mailto:dap at cisco.com]=20
Sent: Friday, August 16, 2002 9:41 AM
To: Shankar Iyer
Cc: t10 at t10.org; t11_3 at mail.t11.org
Subject: [T11.3] Re: Is FCP_CONF support mandatory for FC-Tape

INCITS T11.3 Mail Reflector
********************************
Howdy Shankar,

An FC-Tape compliant initiator is not required to implement a (T12) =
FCP_CONF IU. It is allowed at the initiator and support for FCP_CONF at =
the initiator is specified via the PRLI Confirmed Completion Allowed =
bit.

An FC-Tape compliant target is required to implement an (I5) FCP_RSP IU =
(i.e., FCP_RSP with Confirm), and may use it (provided the FCP_CONF is =
supported at the initiator).

...dap

Shankar=20
> Iyer
> Sent: Thursday, August 15, 2002 11:52 PM
> To: t10 at t10.org; t11_3 at mail.t11.org
> Subject: Is FCP_CONF support mandatory for FC-Tape

> * Shankar Iyer <iyerdude at yahoo.com>
> *
> Hello:
>
> I would appreciate a clarification as to whether
> FCP_CONF support is mandatory for initiators for FC
> Tape support.  The FCP-2 spec does not mention this as
> being mandatory,  but the FC-Tape Technical Report
> seems to indicate that this is mandatory - Invokable
> at the Initiator,  and (I think) Required at the
> Target.
>
> Thanks in advance.
> --
> Shankar Iyer