Format field options defaults

Bmcferrin at aol.com Bmcferrin at aol.com
Sun Aug 11 20:55:49 PDT 2002

* Bmcferrin at aol.com
*

--part1_166.120ce269.2a888bc5_boundary

Hi Henry,
I was away for a few days and so I have gotten on this one a bit late.
You are right.  We have missed a full definition in the Formattable
Feature.  Your request for a "preferred" set of defaults is reasonable,
but it does not guarantee anything.  So,

1. You must set FOV to zero and select what you want.
2. We will rev up the Formattable Feature descriptor in MMC-4 to include
a declaration of the defaults.  That will not fix your problem today,
but it will fix the future.

Bill McFerrin, Philips

Due to the inability to determine a device's defaults through standard
commands, coupled with the problem of the IP bit, I would like to
suggest the following additional lines be added to the specification:

A device should set the defaults for IMMED to one and IP to zero.
A host should set the FOV bit to one and fill in the appropriate
options.

Thanks,
.