Obsolescence of Set CD Speed and Mode Page 2Ah Commands

chigita kchigita at easy.co.jp
Fri Apr 26 02:57:29 PDT 2002

* chigita <kchigita at easy.co.jp>
*
Hello Bill and everyone,

As a Software vendor, I still use SetCDSpeed and Mode Page 2Ah.
I am concerned that by stating as "Obsolete", drive manufactures may
interpret it as "This command is old, so we do not have to implement it."
which would cause the problems in the field.  Manufactures with
experience in the field would know well enough to support it.
But new manufacture (or new firmware engineer in older manufacture)
would not know.

I know that we want to move along and use "SetStreaming" and
"GetPerformance" combination instead, but in reality, it isn't that
simple.  There are many drives that still do not accept SetStreaming and
GetPerformance combination.

So the term "Obsolete", I am afraid that it would create more problems
than it solves.

Chigita

On Thu, 25 Apr 2002 22:19:17 EDT
Bmcferrin at aol.com wrote:

 > Mr Endoh,
 > Obsolete means that the capability is still available, but may be removed
 > from a future standard.  So, obsolete is simply a warning.  We cannot
 > actually remove the capability until MMC-5.  In MMC-5 we have 3 choices:
 > delete the capability, keep the obsolete status, or keep the capability and
 > remove the obsolete status.  MMC-4 will not be released for standardization
 > until 2003, so MMC-5 cannot appear until 2004 and will probably be
2005.  The
 > point of all this is that the standards organizations have made it
impossible
 > for us to remove anything quickly.  That leaves much time for discussion.
 >
 > With respect to the list in the MMC agenda.  I have already discussed those
 > with people at Microsoft and they agree.
 >
 > Thank you for you response,
 > Bill McFerrir
 >
 > > Dear Bill,
 > >
 > > This is Atsushi Endoh, working for TEAC and a member of TWG3
 > > in CDs21 Solutions.
 > >
 > > In addition to the objection from Takahashi-san referred hereunder,
 > > I'd like to tell you that our customers (PC manufacturers in the US)
 > > have required us to support those command as mandatory.
 > > I recommend you to ask PC manufacturers in the States whether they will
 > > really prefer your proposal or not.
 > >
 > > No matter how you abolish those commands in MMC-4, it's obvious that
 > > drive manufacturers and ISVs will still be obliged to support Set CD
Speed
 > > and Mode Page 2Ah as well as supporting new MMC-4.
 > > Please remind the history and the reason of why Set CD Speed command
 > > came back to life after once got obsolescence. As you may remember, it
 > > was to keep good compatibility among thousands of drives and software
 > > spread in the world. Pleas do not forget or ignore this fact.
 > > I'm sorry I won't be able to come to the May meeting, but I hope this
issue

 > > will be deeply discuused with members including Takahashi-san from TWG3.
 > > Thanks for your understanding in advance.
 > >
 > > Best regards,
 > >
 > > Atsushi Endoh
 > > TEAC

Kazuhiro Chigita