Determining application client support for CRN.

Santosh Rao santoshr at cup.hp.com
Mon Sep 24 17:56:55 PDT 2001

* Santosh Rao <santoshr at cup.hp.com>
--------------7AA186D8DC61ACF24047E543

Hi All,

I've got some questions on the CRN field as defined in SAM-2 Rev 20
Section 5.1 and the EPDC bit in the LUN Control Mode Page in FCP-2. Your

   * Is the CRN support capability of the application client to be
     assumed by the device server ? If not, is'nt a bit required in the
     "Control Mode Page" or some other ULP specific mode page to test
     for CRN support at the device server ?

   * What is the intent of the EPDC( Enable Precise Delivery Checking)
     bit in the LUN Control Mode Page in FCP-2 ? I assume this is meant
     to test for the CRN support at the target FCP layer [since
     FCP implementations would treat the CRN byte as reserved in the
     FCP_CMD IU]. I assume this is NOT meant to verify the application
     client support, is that correct ?

   * Is there any need for new SCSI transports to have a bit similar to
     the EPDC bit of FCP-2, if they are guaranteed to support the CRN
     field in their SCSI Command encapsulation IUs from their initial
     revs ? I ask this in the context of iscsi. I also noticed that SRP
     has chosen not to define the Protocol Specific LUN Page [which
     would have contained something equivalent to the EPDC bit].

Thanks,
Santosh

--------------7AA186D8DC61ACF24047E543

begin:vcard
n:Rao;Santosh
tel;work:408-447-3751
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
org:Hewlett Packard, Cupertino.;SISL
adr:;;19420, Homestead Road, M\S 43LN,	;Cupertino.;CA.;95014.;USA.
version:2.1
email;internet:santoshr at cup.hp.com
title:Software Design Engineer
x-mozilla-cpt:;21088