iSCSI : default iSCSI mode page settings.

Peter Johansson PJohansson at acm.org
Thu Sep 20 10:16:49 PDT 2001

* Peter Johansson <PJohansson at ACM.org>
*
At 10:32 AM 9/20/2001 -0400, Binford, Charles wrote:

>I would prefer iSCSI to be silent on the "default value" of any mode page
>field.  In SCSI (regardless of the transport) the default value of any
>given mode page field is up to the target vendor.  Initiators choose to
>either a) accept the default, b) temporarily change the current setting by
>issuing a mode select (without save), or c) change the current setting via
>mode select with the Save option, requesting the target to remember the
>new value after any resets, power cycles, or in the case of iSCSI, new
>"sessions".

You're right, Charles---but it might be helpful to the iSCSI folk to point
out a solution that fits within accepted SCSI architecture conventions.

That is, iSCSI could "profile" (perhaps in a normative annex) the default
mode page settings expected of a SBC or RBC device manufactured for use in
an IP-connected environment.

Regards,

Peter Johansson

Congruent Software, Inc.