Sense data and SCSI Good Status

Dave Peterson dap at cisco.com
Wed Oct 31 12:48:39 PST 2001

* "Dave Peterson" <dap at cisco.com>
*
If a recoverable error occurs for a command other than REQUEST SENSE, is it
valid to return sense data along with a Good SCSI status? (I'm looking but
have not yet found any text about this yet, but I'll keep looking).

In SPC-3 text for the REQUEST SENSE command states:
"If a recovered error occurs during the processing of the REQUEST SENSE
command, the device server shall
return the sense data with GOOD status. If a device server returns CHECK
CONDITION status for a REQUEST
SENSE command, the sense data may be invalid."

Thus for auto-sense protocols (e.g., iSCSI) it appears the spec needs to
specify sense data may be returned with a Good status, at least for the case
where a REQUEST SENSE command has been issued for some reason.

Dave

David A. Peterson
Cisco Systems, Inc.
Lead Architect
Standards Development/Technical Marketing
6450 Wedgwood Road
Maple Grove, MN 55311
Email: dap at cisco.com
Cell: 612-802-3299