Bus Clear Delay question

John Lohmeyer lohmeyer at t10.org
Tue Jan 23 13:08:39 PST 2001

* John Lohmeyer <lohmeyer at t10.org>
*
Dick,

Good question.  The short answer is 'historical reasons'.

This dichotomy has existed since SASI (circa 1981), except it was slightly
worse then because the SASI BUS CLEAR DELAY was 350 ns (maximum) and the
RESET HOLD TIME was 25 msec (minimum).  The hardware engineer at Shugart
Associates who picked these times was being extra conservative because he
believed that some SASI devices would need extra time to completely reset
some internal conditions, especially if software was involved.

A target that violates the BUS CLEAR DELAY causes no harm I can think of
(other than being labeled non-standard) until the 25 msec number is
exceeded.  Of course, there would be a whole lot of finger pointing if such
a target were connected to an initiator that violated the 25 msec RESET
HOLD TIME.

John

John Lohmeyer                  Email: lohmeyer at t10.org
Colo Spgs, CO 80907